[Haskell-cafe] Type system madness

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Fri Jul 13 15:05:36 EDT 2007

Ketil Malde wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-07-12 at 19:15 +0100, Andrew Coppin wrote:
>

>>> While BOMs (Byte Order Mark) are pretty irrelevant to byte-oriented
>>> encodings like UTF-8, I think programs that fail on their presence can
>>> be considered buggy.
>>>

>> Yay! Haskell's text I/O system is buggy. :-P
>>

> Works for me, but feel free to file a bug or provide a more specific
> report.

I was actually commenting on the other guy's remark that "anything that
chokes on a BOM can be considered buggy" - not entirely seriously. ;-)

If there is a "bug" to be reported, it is merely that [the GHC
implementation of] Haskell appears to interpret files as containing
"8-bit ASCII", rather than doing real character encodings. I have no
idea whether anybody has filed a bug report / feature request for this.
(Come to think of it, I have no idea how to check either...)