[Haskell-cafe] Re: Maintaining the community

Aaron Denney wnoise at ofb.net
Fri Jul 13 13:43:34 EDT 2007

On 2007-07-13, brad clawsie <clawsie at fastmail.fm> wrote:
> - take this service off of email entirely. try a web forum system (you
>   may have to slum it and use php). i don't recommend nntp, that just
>   forces us to use gmane since very few isps provide nntp now. a web
>   forum would allow you to segment interest sections while retaining a
>   global search etc. if you use code like slash, you can just moderate
>   noise makers off the page. you can set up a yahoo group in ten minutes.

Switching to a web forum system will kill any interest I have in
following this community.  I suspect I'm not alone.  It's usenet done
/wrong/.  E-mail, the gmane web interface, and the gmane nntp interface
combine into a very serviceable system, where I can choose my client,
and on two of those paths, my client keeps track of what I read, rather
than pushing that onto an overloaded server.

The one thing that I can suggest is putting a note about "other ways of
access" on the mailing list pages, and heck, on "community introduction"
pages.

--
Aaron Denney
-><-