[Haskell-cafe] Re: Maintaining the community

Dave Bayer bayer at math.columbia.edu
Fri Jul 13 10:14:02 EDT 2007

Claus Reinke <claus.reinke <at> talk21.com> writes:

> will ultimately make its contents easier to find. but if you
> want to avoid answering questions again and again on the
> list, you need to improve the cache of answers.

Bingo. On less technical forums, e.g. FlyerTalk, the "do a search" equivalent to
"RTFM" is rampant and people goal-tend without actually doing a test search to
find out if that search might not be coming up for some reason. Others say "do a
search" but demonstrate an effective keyword combination and the resulting
useful resource.

Here, the Wiki is fantastic but extraordinarily spotty (any healthy wiki will
always have much new growth, but the current gaps are surprising), and newcomers
like myself can and have been contributing to it.

If somehow the surge in Haskell Cafe interest could be harnessed to feed Wiki
content, that would be great. Something like "I noticed the Wiki entry for list
comprehensions is just a stub, so I edited it to answer your question. Is the
answer clear? Your beginner perspective is invaluable; how can it be improved?"

The only way to establish such a tradition is by example. I'll start giving it a
try.