[Haskell-cafe] Maintaining the community

Philippa Cowderoy flippa at flippac.org
Fri Jul 13 07:45:23 EDT 2007

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007, Simon Peyton-Jones wrote:

> We need at least one forum in which it's acceptable to ask anything, no
> matter how naive, and get polite replies.  (RTFM isn't polite; but "The
> answer is supposed to be documented here (\url); let us know if that
> doesn't answer your qn" is fine.)  I'd be sorry to lose that.

Agreed. That said, it might be worth developing a "scary maths FAQ" that's
an explanation largely of why all the maths and why it may irritate a lot
of people to get in a flap about it all. It seems to come up increasingly
often, and... well, it's not just the community being elitist or shutting
people out!

flippa at flippac.org

The task of the academic is not to scale great
intellectual mountains, but to flatten them.