[Haskell-cafe] Maintaining the community

Jim Burton jim at sdf-eu.org
Fri Jul 13 07:33:46 EDT 2007

Jules Bean wrote:

> Jim Burton wrote:
>> Very timely! It's sad that haskell-cafe has so much noise now.
>
> I disagree with that characterisation. I don't mean to be pedantic, but
> I don't think haskell-cafe has lots of noise. I think it has lots of
> signal! Quite different.

I think you're right actually. I was exaggerating the problem due to having
woken up as a bad tempered spartan.

> [...]
>
>  > One way of protecting the community is to protect this list from
> drowning
>  > in noise and being a bit rough with newbies who don't do any research
> at
>  > all before asking is perfectly acceptable in my view.
>
> I disagree with that on two separate levels:
>
> (a) I don't think being rough with newbies is the right response.
> (b) I also don't think it would achieve the goal you state. Being rough
> with one newbie will not, in my experience, particularly prevent the
> next question asked by the next newbie :)
>
> All IMHO, obviously.
>
> Jules

You notice I said "people who do no research at all"? It might be unfriendly
and counter to the way things happen here, but I think the most helpful
response is to tell them to do some research.