[Haskell-cafe] Re: Maintaining the community

Dave Bayer bayer at math.columbia.edu
Fri Jul 13 06:07:32 EDT 2007

Malcolm Wallace <Malcolm.Wallace <at> cs.york.ac.uk> writes:
> Yes, the sheer volume of posts is definitely becoming a problem (for me,
> at least).

As a newcomer I was stunned that this otherwise very sophisticated community was
using an email list rather than a bulletin board. The shear torrent of email was
impacting my mail program performance.

Then I chased somes repies leading to earlier threads, and found bulletin-board
stye access to our list at

    http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.cafe/

I much prefer this access, even if I wish the window spit vertically rather than
horizontally.

A bulletin board has the capabibility to evolve, e.g. into multiple entry points.

Are there statistics on who reads which way? Posting stats should be obvious
with a little script, for anyone who still has a hoard of messagess at homne.