[Haskell-cafe] Maintaining the community

Jim Burton jim at sdf-eu.org
Fri Jul 13 05:30:49 EDT 2007

Donald Bruce Stewart wrote:

> As we sit here riding the Haskell wave:
>
>     [...]
>
> * Give tips on how to answer questions
>
>         Answering politely, and in detail, explaining common
> misunderstandings
>         is better than one word replies.
>

> * Adopt a near-zero-tolerance "Be Nice" policy when people answer
> questions
>
>         We are very good here already, both on email and IRC.

Very timely! It's sad that haskell-cafe has so much noise now. I haven't
been around very long at all but it has gone downhill dramatically even in
the last 6 months (I think I could put a date on it but lets not get into
that). As well as being nice, can't you sometimes tell people to RTFM? Or,
You've asked that before, or That's an FAQ, search the archive? One way of
protecting the community is to protect this list from drowning in noise and
being a bit rough with newbies who don't do any research at all before
asking is perfectly acceptable in my view. It goes without saying that
everything you say about the quality of the help here is true but I don't
think you should treat us with kid gloves.