[Haskell-cafe] In-place modification

ok ok at cs.otago.ac.nz
Thu Jul 12 20:45:23 EDT 2007

I wrote [student code in Java twice the size of C code, 150 times
slower].

On 12 Jul 2007, at 7:04 pm, Bulat Ziganshin wrote:
> using student's work, it's easy to proof that Basic is faster than
> assembler (and "haskell is as fast and memory-efficient as C",
> citing haskell-cafe)

This completely ignores everything else I wrote.  The first point is
that IT WAS NOT THE STUDENT'S FAULT.  The performance bottleneck was
ENTIRELY in code provided by Sun.

And the second point of my message, which has also been ignored, is
that languages are NOT the sole determiner of productivity &c, but
libraries also.  My post was not about Java-the-language, but about
java.io the library, and about the fact that libraries can have far
more effect than anything the compiler does.

So no, using the form of my argument, it is NOT possible to prove
anything about Haskell -vs- C.  It is ONLY possible to make claims
about Haskell *libraries* -vs- C *libraries*.