[Haskell-cafe] Very freaky

Steve Downey sdowney at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 08:57:06 EDT 2007

Almost, I think. A functor is a mapping from the arrows, or morphisms,
in a category to arrows in a category. Identity being a perfectly
cromulent functor.
Category theory is like an (over) generalization of set theory. It
doesn't concern itself with pesky details like what elements and
functions are, it starts with those as just properties of a category.
And, as others have indicated, it's the deep relationship between
category theory and type systems that tends to lead programming
language theorists to investigate it. That and the success of monads,
which from a category theory point of view, are fairly trivial.
-SMD