[Haskell-cafe] Very freaky

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Wed Jul 11 14:40:37 EDT 2007

Tony Morris wrote:
>> I'd like throw in another vote for TAPL.  I've been reading it lately
>> and it
>> honestly makes type theory feel fairly simple and natural.  I think
>> Pierce's
>> writing is very clear, but occasionally the exercises make the problem
>> sound
>> harder than it is and it gets a little confusing.  A friend of mine has the
>> same problem with his category theory book.
>>

> Same here!
> I found his Category Theory book quite difficult and I will have to
> revisit it. I have only just started TaPL, but I am enjoying it thoroughly.

I once sat down and tried to read about Category Theory. I got almost
nowhere though; I cannot for the life of my figure out how the
definition of "category" is actually different from the definition of
"set". Or how a "functor" is any different than a "function". Or...
actually, none of it made sense.

It didn't sound terribly interesting anyway. I'll stick to group theory...