[Haskell-cafe] In-place modification

ok ok at cs.otago.ac.nz
Tue Jul 10 22:24:58 EDT 2007

On 11 Jul 2007, at 8:02 am, Sebastian Sylvan wrote:

> On 10/07/07, Alex Queiroz <asandroq at gmail.com> wrote:
>>      20 years from now people will still be saying this...
>
> I highly doubt that. For two reasons:
> 1. People can only cling to unproductive and clumsy tools for so long
> (we don't write much assembly any more...). Capitalism works to ensure
> this; people who are willing to switch to  more efficient tools will
> put the rest out of business (if they really are more efficient).

We are still seeing terabytes of assembly code written;
it is just being written by compilers.

As for me, I still sometimes write Fortran.  (Mind you, F95 is not
your grandfather's Fortran.  But it does still beat the pants off C.)
People have been predicting the death of Fortran for a long time.

> 2. The many-core revolution that's on the horizon.

You cannot have played with Cilk if you think that will kill C.

Actually, it's not on the horizon.  The revolution has happened.
Some people have seen the flash; others haven't heard the bang yet.