[Haskell-cafe] function unique

Dan Weston westondan at imageworks.com
Tue Jul 10 18:42:59 EDT 2007

Alexteslin wrote:
 > I'v got it - it produces the right output.
 > Thank you.

Now that you've done the exercise, the fun starts! What assumptions did
you build in to your solution?

1) You just need uniqueness, so counting the number of copies is not
only overkill, but requires you to go through the entire list to count them.

2) The list might be infinite, and your function should work if you make
only want to use the first part of it, so the following should return
[1,2,3,4,5] in a finite amount of time:

take 5 (unique [1..])

Your algorithm fails both of these. Consider a *lazy* approach:

1) Keep the head of the list
2) Then filter the tail, keeping only elements different from the head
3) Then put the two together

Don't worry in step #2 about having an infinite number of list elements
to be filtered out of the list. Think of it like asking a lazy child to
clean the house. They're only going to do it just before mom gets home
(who knows, with any luck she'll be in a car crash and forget about
having asked you to clean!)

This works for infinite lists, and puts off the work until you actually
need the elements.

I won't cheat you out of the fun, but here's the solution to a *very*
similar problem using the Sieve of Eratosthenes to find prime numbers:

isNotDivisor divisor dividend = dividend `rem` divisor /= 0

keepOnlyLowestMultiple (x:xs) =
   x : keepOnlyLowestMultiple (filter (isNotDivisor x) xs)

primes = keepOnlyLowestMultiple [2..]

Dan