[Haskell-cafe] In-place modification

Sebastian Sylvan sebastian.sylvan at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 16:48:28 EDT 2007

On 10/07/07, Alex Queiroz <asandroq at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> On 7/10/07, Sebastian Sylvan <sebastian.sylvan at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > That might eliminate the concurrency imperative (for a while!), but it
> > doesn't adress the productivity point. My hypothesis is this: People
> > don't like using unproductive tools, and if they don't have to, they
> > won't.
> >

>      So you think we use C because we like it? :-) When this
> revolutionary tool of yours arrive that compiles Haskell to PIC
> devices, I'm gonna be the first to use it.

No, you use it because you have to, there is very little choice. Which
is exactly my point.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that when nobody uses C for
desktop applications, games etc. anymore because there's a better
language available and widely supported, that some version of this
"next mainstream language" will make it onto embedded devices too.

The revolution (tm) won't come at the same time for all domains. C is
probably used/supported in embedded devices mostly because it's
popular for non-embedded devices (not because C is somehow uniquely
suited for embedded devices). So what happens when something else is
popular, when most industries have stopped using C and almost nobody
coming from university knows it very well or at all? Isn't it likely
that a lot of vendors will write compilers targeting embedded devices
for this new popular language?

--
Sebastian Sylvan
+44(0)7857-300802