[Haskell-cafe] In-place modification

Hugh Perkins hughperkins at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 16:15:46 EDT 2007

On 7/10/07, Sebastian Sylvan <sebastian.sylvan at gmail.com> wrote:

> While I personally think that the productivity argument should be
> enough to "make the switch", the killer-app (the app that will kill C,
> that is :-)) is concurrency. C is just not a tractable tool to program
> highly concurrent programs, unless the problem happens to be highly
> amenable to concurrency (web servers etc.). We need *something* else.
> It may not be Haskell, but it will be something (and it will probably
> be closer to Haskell than C!).

Yeah I agree with this.  C# totally rocks, but threading is an unsolved
problem.

If you can get to the stage where you can get a non-optimized,
readable/maintainable Haskell program to run at more than say 30% of the
speed of a non-optimized, readable/maintainable C# program, but
automatically runs across 16 or 256 cores, then you're on to a winner.