[Haskell-cafe] In-place modification

Hugh Perkins hughperkins at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 15:26:43 EDT 2007

On 7/8/07, Andrew Coppin <andrewcoppin at btinternet.com> wrote:

> I was wittering on about stream fusion and how great it is, and I got a
> message from Mr C++.
>
> (Mr C++ develops commercial games, and is obsessed with performance. For
> him, the only way to achieve the best performance is to have total
> control over every minute detail of the implementation. He sees Haskell
> is a stupid language that can never be fast. It seems he's not alone...)

Just a random observation: the competition for Haskell is not really C or
C++.  C is basically dead; C++ is only really useful when you dont want
people to be able to read your source code.  Java comes close to being
competition, but it's slow and eats memory (except in benchmarks where it
somehow does quite well).

The competition for Haskell is C#, which runs at 80% C++ speed, has a really
decent interface into legacy C libraries, has a garbage collector, bounds
checking, decent debug messages.