[Haskell-cafe] Type system madness

Jim Burton jim at sdf-eu.org
Mon Jul 9 18:13:19 EDT 2007

Andrew Coppin wrote:

> OK, can somebody explain to me *really slowly* exactly what the
> difference between an existential type and a rank-N type is?
> [...]
If you get a chance, I'd recommend reading Types and Programming Languages
by Benjamin Pierce. It's an excellent book that builds up to complicated
Type acrobatics from the untyped lambda calculus, and most of what's in
there (though the implementations are in O'Caml) has a corresponding name in
Haskell (plus dreaded extensions :-)). I'm reading it at the moment and
needing to frequently backtrack having got completely lost, but it's worth
it.