[Haskell-cafe] Clearly, Haskell is ill-founded

Dan Piponi dpiponi at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 14:19:44 EDT 2007

On 7/8/07, Thomas Conway <drtomc at gmail.com> wrote:
> The basic claim appears to be that discrete mathematics is a bad
> foundation for computer science. I suspect the subscribers to this
> list would beg to disagree.

Wearing my tin foil hat for the moment, I think that there is a
conspiracy by some computer scientists to drive a wedge between
mathematicians and computer scientists. You can see hints of it in
many places where both mathematicians and computer scientists hang out
and there have been quite a few recent articles setting up mathematics
and computer science as somehow in competition with each other.

Many of the structures studied by mathematicians are algebraic. Many
of the structures studied by computer scientists are coalgebraic (eg.
the web itself can be seen as a vast coalgebraic structure). Sometimes
I wonder if the only difference between mathematicians and computer
scientists is the direction of their arrows.