[Haskell-cafe] Language semantics

Daniil Elovkov daniil.elovkov at googlemail.com
Sun Jul 8 14:54:52 EDT 2007

2007/7/1, Andrew Coppin <andrewcoppin at btinternet.com>:

> I'm going to have to take some time to bend my mind around that one too...
>
> (Does anybody else on this list frequently get the feeling their IQ is
> just too low for Haskell??)

I do. Sometimes when I find myself doing some type hackery.

And that's a sad feeling. Not because I realise that my IQ is lower
than it could be, but because the whole idea of Haskell is doing
things fast and easily. While on that I can spend quite a lot of time.

But that's only that fragment of work. The rest goes well :)

When I do that, I may think "hey, seems like in Java I'd do that
pretty quickly without a lot of thinking" but then you realise that
you're striving for much more that you'd got in Java. Much more static
garantees, so the comparison isn't correct at all.