[Haskell-cafe] A very edgy language (was: A very nontrivial parser)

Ketil Malde ketil at ii.uib.no
Sat Jul 7 04:18:58 EDT 2007

On Sat, 2007-07-07 at 13:39 +1000, Donald Bruce Stewart wrote:

> Give #haskell is a far larger community than:

Well, Haskell clearly has a well developed IRC community.
Using Google to search Usenet posts in 2007:

Haskell:	21000
Lisp:		29000
Erlang:		 2500
Ocaml:		 7000

Ruby:	       145000
Python:	       154000
Perl:	       390000

(This includes fa.haskell and probably other mailing list gateways as
well.)

Using Google Scholar to search for papers from 2007:

Haskell:	1310
Ruby:		1670
Lisp:		 316
Ocaml:		  38

Java:		7650

Unfortunately, all this proves is that if your language shares its name
with a large number of people, it will be mentioned a lot in scientific
papers :-)

> Maybe we need to reconsider where the (FP) mainstream is now? :-)

Getting there, at least.

-k