[Haskell-cafe] RE: Modern Haskell books (was "Re: A very nontrivial parser")

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 06:33:56 EDT 2007

Hello peterv,

Friday, July 6, 2007, 2:03:24 PM, you wrote:
> For example, for the brand new F# language I bought the book
> http://www.amazon.com/Foundations-F-Robert-Pickering/dp/1590597575 which
> covers almost everything you need to create real-world applications, from
> GUIs to databases to 2D/3D graphics to custom languages. Okay, it's a bit
> buggy here and there, but it's a great overview.

as we many times said, there is need in two rather different books:

one about "advanced haskell type hackery", which covers type and
syntax extensions, smart ways of using types/classes, type system
theory and so on. it is one we talked about in this thread. now this
sort of information spread in thin air - places mentioned by Dons and
me, haskell mail lists and so on

another, very different - "real world haskell" about commercial and
semi-commercial program development. it should cover gui, db, web,
networking, multithreading, parsing and other practical topics,
focusing on libraries, tools, and changing programmers' thinking.
currently this information is even more spread - you can read 15-year
old books such as SOE and SICP for learning FP programming style, and
various docs and tutorials for info about using each tool and library

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin at gmail.com