[Haskell-cafe] Binary serialization, was Re: Abstraction leak

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jul 5 12:59:26 EDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-07-05 at 17:39 +0100, Paul Moore wrote:
> I see you've already responded, and we're in broad agreement. So I
> won't labour the point. It's an infrastructure issue rather than a
> technical one, and it *will* improve. What will be interesting is how
> much the generally lousy Windows experience can be improved -

We have this slightly odd problem where half our user base use Windows
(according to the GHC user survey) but almost every active developer
uses Linux or OSX (or a few other BSD/Unix OSs). So we could enormously
improve the Windows user experience (and a few heroes work hard on doing
just that) but basically there just aren't enough developers who use
windows to give it a satisfactory level of support.

This is of course a slightly circular problem, since using/developing
Haskell on Windows is a pain, developers avoids it and so there are not
enough developers irritated by how difficult it is to motivate
developers to fix it!

Duncan