[Haskell-cafe] Binary serialization, was Re: Abstraction leak

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 12:07:34 EDT 2007

On 05/07/07, Bulat Ziganshin <bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com> wrote:
> > * Gzip compress a data stream
> zlib
>
> > * Send an email
> > * Parse an ini file
> >> The one thing off the top of my head that Python had was Base64, but that's
> MissingH
>
> > * Calculate the MD5 checksum of a file
> crypto

Thanks.

The need I had for these is no longer current, but sometime I'll try
an experiment and see how easy it is, on a relatively clean Windows
box with just GHC installed, to grab and use these libraries. (Side
note: with Python, I'm used to 3rd party modules being available as
Windows installer packages - does the concept of an installable binary
for something like MissingH, which I can just install and use, make
sense for a compiled language like Haskell? The build, find I'm
missing a C library, get it, compile it, fix bugs, try again cycle I
used to hit before Python Windows installers became common isn't
something I'd like to repeat...)

As I mentioned in passing, it may well be that the library issue with
Haskell is more of a perception (or maybe organisational) issue than a
technical one...

Paul.