[Haskell-cafe] Haskell's "partial application" (not currying!) versus Business Objects Gem Cutter's "burning"

Conor McBride ctm at Cs.Nott.AC.UK
Wed Jul 4 14:29:57 EDT 2007

Hi Marc

Thanks for giving it a go!

On 4 Jul 2007, at 17:33, Marc A. Ziegert wrote:

> exercise done. :D
> there is still a problem with the functional dependencies. see last
> line of code.
> - marc

Looks like a good start. Quite different from the way I did it. I can
assure you that it's possible to be less explicit about the types of
the pieces. You might think about computing a typed context for the
holes, rather than just counting them.

I should add that my solution is here, if/when you feel like looking:

   http://www.e-pig.org/idle/ctm/Emmental.lhs

I'm still fiddling with it in odd moments, hoping for something
neater. I don't like the explicit P, or the explicit :$. I have
another slightly clunky, non-nesting version which works like idiom
brackets

   hH elem O (P "aeiou") Hh 'x' = False

but I don't really like it much. The connection with idiom brackets
isn't an accident, but that's another story.

All the best

Conor