[Haskell-cafe] Binary serialization, was Re: Abstraction leak

Philip Armstrong phil at kantaka.co.uk
Wed Jul 4 11:31:56 EDT 2007

On Wed, Jul 04, 2007 at 06:52:08PM +0400, Bulat Ziganshin wrote:
>Hello Philip,
>
>Wednesday, July 4, 2007, 5:50:42 PM, you wrote:
>> This doesn't seem to deal with endianness. Am I missing something?
>
>alternative:
>http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Library/AltBinary
>http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Library/Streams

Nice: bit aligning if you want it, little or big endian IO. Intermixed
endianness in the same datastream even[1]. However:

   3.2.10 Defining Binary instances for custom serialization formats (unwritten)

Does that mean that the code is unwritten or that the documentation is
unwritten. IAMFI :)

There seems to be some overlap between Streams and ByteStrings: Could
a Stream built on a ByteString backend benefit from all the fusion
work that's been put into ByteStrings recently? Oh wait, I see you
list that as 'future work' on the wiki page...

Phil

[1] Which sick application *needs* intermixed endianness?