[Haskell-cafe] Channel9 Interview: Software Composability and theFu ture of Languages

Rob Crowther robertc at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 13:17:40 EST 2007

On 31/01/07, Michael T. Richter <ttmrichter at gmail.com> wrote:

>  I disagree with this part.  Books written by committee lack cohesion unless they
> have an overbearing editor at the helm.

While that might be a problem for a 'Haskell for the Working
Programmer Book' it wouldn't be a problem at all for a Cookbook style
book (which I believe is what the OP was referring to here) IMO.  The
point of the Cookbook is that all the 'recipes' should be self
contained as far as is practical, they are 'dipping in' books rather
than 'read right through' books, and in this case the cohesion isn't
so important.  As I understand it, the Python Cookbook (published by
O'Reilly) was created in large part from user contributions (
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Python/Cookbook/ ).

Rob