[Haskell-cafe] How did you stumble on Haskell?

Alexy Khrabrov deliverable at gmail.com
Sun Jan 28 22:01:57 EST 2007

How do people stumble on Haskell?  I've taught ML at UPenn, and many
of my colleagues in Amazon are in SeaFunc -- switching from C funk to
func funk.  I've got Hudak's book a while ago, but didn't have
time/excuse to delve into it until recently.  Then the most fantastic
chain if events triggered it:

-- finally switched to Intel Mac
-- got Parallels
-- got a recent Linux, openSUSE 10.2, to stick into Parallels
-- decided finally to try Gentoo
-- found equery slow, came across Adelie/FQuery as "fast equery"
-- emerge adelie

To my surprise, saw it emerge GHC!  Realized Adelie is a Haskell way
to hack Portage.  Dug all things Haskell!

I also used Darcs for a long time.  It probably takes several pro et
contra factors to push away from boring things and to be inducted into
interesting FP things.  Again, UPenn focus on ML was invaluable, and
Ullman's book on ML superb -- and thin!

What's folks most interesting ways to arrive at FP?

Cheers,
Alexy