[Haskell-cafe] Re: Haskell Weekly News: January 02, 2007

Björn Buckwalter bjorn.buckwalter at gmail.com
Sun Jan 28 17:22:00 EST 2007

Henning Thielemann <lemming <at> henning-thielemann.de> writes:

> On Tue, 2 Jan 2007, Donald Bruce Stewart wrote:
>
> >    Dimensional: Statically checked physical dimensions. Björn Buckwalter
> >    [4]announced version 0.1 of [5]Dimensional, a module for statically
> >    checked physical dimensions. The module facilitates calculations with
> >    physical quantities while statically preventing e.g. addition of
> >    quantities with differing physical dimensions.
> >
> >    4. http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.general/14691
> >    5. http://code.google.com/p/dimensional/

Henning,

First, let me apologize for not answering earlier. I have been
reluctant to subscribe to the café due to the volume of messages.
Instead I tend to occasionally browse the archives. Needless to say
your questions eluded me until now. The same is true for Mike Gunter's
message[1] which I will respond to presently.

> How is it related to this one:
>   http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Dimensionalized_numbers
> ?

I ashamedly admit that I am guilty of inventing my own wheel. I
haven't looked too closely at Aaron's code but I believe there are
some conceptual similarities. Regarding completeness user my library
supports all seven base dimensions while Aaron's library currently
supports only length and time (I believe it is meant as a proof of
concept (toy example in his own words) rather than a complete
library). My ambition is to provide a reasonably complete library.

> It should certainly be mentioned on
>   http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Physical_units
>   http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Libraries_and_tools/Mathematics#Physical_units

I have added it to the above pages. Thanks,

Björn Buckwalter

[1] http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell-cafe/2007-January/021069.html