[Haskell-cafe] Channel9 Interview: Software Composability and the Future of Languages

Tim Newsham newsham at lava.net
Sat Jan 27 14:23:31 EST 2007

> Humm.  While I can accept that this is a valid criticism of Haskell's monadic
> structure for dealing with I/O, I fail to see how it could drive a decision
> to prefer an imperative language like C#, where every statement has this
> property (overspecification of evaluation order).

True.. perhaps his objection was related to having a bulky syntax (one
line per action, if one is not using a higher order function to combine
actions) rather than having an order of evaluation rule in the language
and letting the programmer (mostly) ignore it (sometime to is own
peril).

Tim Newsham
http://www.thenewsh.com/~newsham/