[Haskell-cafe] Re: [Haskell] ANNOUNCE: binary: high performance, pure binary serialisation

John Meacham john at repetae.net
Fri Jan 26 15:21:46 EST 2007

On Fri, Jan 26, 2007 at 04:36:50PM +0100, Tomasz Zielonka wrote:
> Did you consider using an encoding which uses variable number of bytes?
> If yes, I would be interested to know your reason for not choosing such
> an encoding. Efficiency?

I am testing/benchmarking one right now I wrote for 'Integer', so far, I
think it may be better in time _and_ space! cache effects no doubt.

A nice thing about it is that for the common case, short ascii strings,
the serialized form takes up exactly as much as they would in C, very
nice. :)

        John

--
John Meacham - ⑆repetae.net⑆john⑈