[Haskell-cafe] Pure serialisation and compression [Was: No Derived Read for Unboxed Arrays]

SevenThunders mattcbro at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 25 22:08:37 EST 2007

Donald Bruce Stewart wrote:

> mattcbro:
>
> Faster, and trivial to write! Here's a complete example:

Thanks for the example.  However for this application,  I like my arrays in
an ascii readable format.  In fact my arrays are themselves packed into a
data record and the show and read mechanism is handy for capturing a
snapshot of this data record, enabling me to inspect the values by opening
the text files.  Moreover my data record files are quite portable across
many platforms.

For processing large amounts of data, however, the binary approach would be
the way to go.