[Haskell-cafe] Re: seq does not preclude parametricity (Re: IO is not a monad)

Robert Dockins robdockins at fastmail.fm
Thu Jan 25 03:46:09 EST 2007

On Wednesday 24 January 2007 20:20, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > FYI, don't try to run this in GHC, because it gives the simplifier fits.
> You mean it triggers a bug in the inliner?

Third bullet in secion 12.2.1.

I gather that GHC HQ has decided that the problem is pathological enough to
sweep under the rug.  I can't say I blame them.  Really, the only reason to
construct custom fixpoint combinators is to show that it can be done :-)
Using the built-in facilities for recursion is far easier and almost
certainly results in better code.