seq does not preclude parametricity (Re: [Haskell-cafe] IO is not a monad)

Lennart Augustsson lennart at augustsson.net
Wed Jan 24 08:27:31 EST 2007

Well, I think fix destroys parametricity too, and it would be better
to get rid of fix.  But I'm not proposing to do that for Haskell,
because I don't have a viable proposal to do so.  (But I think the
proposal would be along the same lines as the seq one; provide fix
in a type class so we can keep tabs on it.)
BTW, fix can be defined in the pure lambda calculus, just not in simply
typed pure lambda calculus (when not qualified by "typed" the term
"lambda calculus" usually refers to the untyped version).

OK, so I was a bit harsh when I said seq destroys parametricity,
it doesn't destroy it completely, just enough to ruin the properties
used by, e.g., foldr/build.
The problem with the current seq can also be seen by the fact that
it doesn't work properly with the IO type.

	-- Lennart