[Haskell-cafe] Fractional sqrt

Novák Zoltán neez at freemail.hu
Fri Jan 19 07:13:59 EST 2007

Hi,

Thanks for the answers. The best solution would be a general purpose
 arbitrary precision math library for Haskell. I found two:

http://medialab.freaknet.org/bignum/
http://r6.ca/FewDigits/

I think both uses power series and have trigonometric functions too. (I only
need sqrt, so probably I will not use them, just the simple Newton alg.)

It would be great, if a fast implementation of arbitrary precision real
arithmetic Class would be part of the Standard libraries. Because  Haskell is
so great for numerical computations already (functions, composing functions,
higher order f. with typechecking), a good math library would make Matlab
obsolete. :)
                        Zoltan Novak

ps. Call me Zoltan (that is my first name), just we write it in different
order in Hungary. (Names are in hungarian notation here: the type description
precedes the actual name)