[Haskell-cafe] State monad strictness - how?

Josef Svenningsson josef.svenningsson at gmail.com
Wed Jan 10 09:01:34 EST 2007

Yitzchak,

I agree with you that both lazy and strict monads are important and
that we should have both options in a monad library.

But the fun doesn't end there. There are other strictness properties
to consider. Take the state monad for example. Should it be strict or
lazy in the state that it carries around? What about the value
component? I think the answer to these questions are the same as for
monadic strictness above: both strict and lazy variants are useful.

Now, the challenge here is to design a library which doesn't explode
in size from all the various possibilities for strictness or laziness.
In fact I did once bite the bullet and came up with a library that
does all this. Though I haven't released it publicly yet. I never took
the time to polish the code to the point where I wouldn't be
embarrassed about showing it to others.

If you kick me hard enough I might release the library.

Cheers,

Josef