[Haskell-cafe] trouble installing greencard -- -fno-prune-tydecls flag ( was Re: trivial function application question )

Yitzchak Gale gale at sefer.org
Mon Jan 8 13:57:09 EST 2007

Neil Mitchell wrote:
> That doesn't seem that helpful. On error, give a list of maybe 25
> things that are missing, only to find out that you're running GHC
> 6.4.1 on Windows which no one ever tried before. It's not really
> narrowing the cause of the error too much anyway.

Oh, I agree completely. Clearly it would be great if Cabal
could process and report dependencies in a more
meaningful way.

However, if that will take more time before it can happen, I
am just supporting what a few other people have already
suggested in this thread as an easy first step.

These do not require any change in the way Cabal processes
things - just the way messages are printed.

I am just combining a few things already said :

o Verbose and non-verbose options.
o Always show information if something really went wrong.
o Include a message that may help people not to panic as much.

-Yitz