[Haskell-cafe] Extensible static checking of dimensions?

Mike Gunter m at ryangunter.com
Tue Jan 2 20:25:30 EST 2007

The very nice Buckwalter and Denney dimensional-numbers packages both
work on a fixed set of base dimensions.  This is a significant
restriction for me--I want to avoid adding apples to oranges as well
as avoiding adding meters to grams.  Is it possible to have an
extensible set of base dimensions?  If so, how usable can such a
system be made?  Is it very much worse than a system with a fixed set
of base dimensions?

thanks,
-m