[Haskell-cafe] A "real" Haskell Cookbook

brad clawsie clawsie at fastmail.fm
Fri Feb 23 16:11:59 EST 2007

On Fri, Feb 23, 2007 at 03:07:18PM -0500, Seth Gordon wrote:
> P. R. Stanley wrote:
> > I'm referring to math symbols which do not get successfully
> > translated into an intelligible symbol in the screen reader browse buffer.
>
> Is there a way to make the symbols both look right on a screen and sound
> right from a screen reader?

yes, by employing document translation

this is often the purpose of employing docbook or another
document-oriented schema - you down-translate into xhtml, pdf, ascii, etc

these down-translations can often be performed with available tools

down-translating for a screen reader implies maintaining some sort of
association of entities to literal chars/phrase etc. its likely that
users of these screen readers know the capabilities of the tools and
are likely best to provide this function

removing all glyphs which cannot come out of a screen reader is not a
viable solution - xhtml markup adds real value for 99.9% of users.