[Haskell-cafe] Re: exists . a psuedo-standard non-empty list module

Nicolas Frisby nicolas.frisby at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 21:07:00 EST 2007

The haddock at
  http://www-users.cs.york.ac.uk/~ndm/projects/safe/Safe.html
doesn't indicate that Safe.List already exists. It seems Safe.List
would indeed be a new module in that heirarchy. That said, it may be a
bit confusing to see both approaches in the same package, but both do
support "safety" (explicit code with good error messages versus static
checks). Perhaps actua

Regarding decimal numbers, I have a bad habit of not respecting
Haskell98 compliance. (Sorry if that sentence just caused any compiler
writers to wince.) It is a fine point you raise though. Does the
clarity of the decimal types out weigh the type-extensions overhead?
Or: do the benefits of Haskell98-compliance merit the verbosity of
unary/binary type-level naturals? When we discuss "lightweightness", I
think the heavy-lifting of decimals would be contained within the
library, not exposed. In particular, the smaller decimal type are so
much easier to digest, they could be considered more lightweight than
the alternatives (that I've seen). Is that a fair claim?

Off-Topic: has On computable types III been release yet?

Thank you to Henning, Oleg, Neil, and Alfonso for discussing.