[Haskell-cafe] A voice in the desert... (Was: Is lazyness make big difference?)

Dan Weston westondan at imageworks.com
Thu Feb 15 14:42:32 EST 2007

Kudos to you for invoking Plato. This forum could use a bit of
epistemological levity. Your passionate and quirky style reminds me of
the "Laws of Form" by G. Spencer-Brown
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laws_of_form).

One quibble: I work for a one of the world's largest 3-D visual effects
studios (based in LA) and I can say with some authority that of the work
I've seen, the vast amount of animation (complicated or not) both
embedded in photo-realistic live action and in full-feature animation is
NOT inverse kinematics, but forward kinematics in an endless chain of
deformer layers, painstakingly and lovingly coerced through endless
iterations into place. The "obvious benefits" of physical simulation,
IK, and rule-based autonomous behavior inevitably run into the brick
wall of a director whose inner vision cannot be easily converged on
through any complicated function of few input parameters. Even motion
capture (actual human motion) often needs tweaking to more effectively
tell a story. Experienced animators can fake the IK part of this fairly
quickly, in any case.

As such, it is not lazy programming, but greedy programming that is
prominent in my industry. Lazy algorithms work best when the goal is
well understood and the algorithm takes shape during development. In
visual effects, efficiency of process and predictability of result are
paramount (pardon the pun), and algorithms that optimize these are well
understood. It is the end effect that evolves by massaging and mutating
these algorithms strategically. Often, the exact goal is not known even
to the director until it appears out of a lineup (or "wedge", evaluated
greedily) of countless variations.

Perhaps your different experience is in the domain of robotics or games
programming, which have entirely different goals and requirements.

Dan Weston
Senior Software Engineer
Sony Pictures Imageworks

NOTE: The opinions and observations expressed here are personal views
expressed by me alone and do not necessarily reflect those of Sony
Pictures, its subsidiaries, business partners, affiliates, or other
employees thereof.