[Haskell-cafe] Re: Is lazyness make big difference?

apfelmus at quantentunnel.de apfelmus at quantentunnel.de
Thu Feb 15 08:13:09 EST 2007

Nick wrote:
> The question is the following: how big the gap between strict languages
> with lazy constructs and Haskell? Does the default lazyness have
> irrefutable advantage over default strictness?

Laziness is needed to achieve true compositionality. This point is
elaborated in

  John Hughes. "Why functional programming matters"

I also think that the laziness in Haskell is already so implicit that
90% of the Haskell code written so far will simply break irreparably if
you experimentally remove it.

By the way, lazy evaluation is strictly more powerful than eager
evaluation (in a pure language, that is) with respect to asymptotic

  Richard Bird, Geraint Jones and Oege de Moor.
  "More Haste, Less Speed."