[Haskell-cafe] Network.CGI.Compat.pwrapper

Bjorn Bringert bringert at cs.chalmers.se
Tue Feb 13 04:02:19 EST 2007

On Feb 12, 2007, at 23:27 , Albert Y. C. Lai wrote:

> Bjorn Bringert wrote:
>> pwrapper is not an HTTP server, though the Haddock comment can
>> make you think so. pwrapper allows you to talk *CGI* over a TCP
>> port, but I have no idea why anyone would like to do that.
>
> Here is a scenerio. I want a basic web application: someone makes a
> request, and my program computes a response.
>
> * For one reason or another, I settle with CGI.
>
> * The program is huge and slow to load. (Let's say it statically
> links in the whole GHC API and therefore is basically GHC
> itself. :) ) It would suck to re-load this program at every request.

By the way, here's an example application which does just that using
FastCGI: http://csmisc14.cs.chalmers.se/~bjorn/dynhs/examples/wiki/
wiki.hs

It uses a dynamically started FastCGI application, which means that
the web server starts up new processes when needed and keeps a bunch
of them around to serve future requests.

/Björn