[Haskell-cafe] questions about core
mattr at ics.mq.edu.au
Mon Feb 12 00:45:47 EST 2007
I am trying to get a deeper understanding of core's role in GHC and
the compilation of functional languages in general. So far I have
- The hackathon videos,
- "A transformation-based optimiser for Haskell",
- "An External Representation for the GHC Core Language (DRAFT for
- "Secrets of the Glasgow Haskell Compiler inliner".
and I am still a bit hazy on a few points:
- What role do *the semantics* of core play (i.e. how and where are
they taken advantage of)?
- Exactly what are the operational and denotational semantics of core?
- The headline reasons (and any other arguments that emerge) for
having core *and* stg as separate definitions.
I have an intuition on a few of these points, but I would love
something concrete to latch on to.
More information about the Haskell-Cafe