[Haskell-cafe] IO is not a monad

Aaron McDaid aaron at aaronmcdaid.com
Wed Feb 7 18:55:03 EST 2007

Could seq be changed so that it will not give an error if it finds
undefined? Am I right in thinking that seq is supposed to
theoretically do nothing, but simply give a hint to the compiler so to
speak? If that is true, it should merely attempt to evaluate it, but
ignore it if it cannot evaluate it.
Is it realistic or desirable to change seq like this?

Anyway, as far as I can see it is already true that
   (>>= f) . return = f
because 'equality' for Monads simply means they do that same thing
when 'executed' or whatever. The only thing that can currently find a
difference between the above monads is seq and seq is a funny thing.

Aaron