[Haskell-cafe] Space leaks in large mutable data structures

C Rodrigues red5_2 at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 5 13:27:32 EST 2007

I'd like to hear what tips and techniques you guys have for avoiding space
leaks.  I understand the basic techniques to force evaluation of closures.
What I'd like to know is how you avoid space leaks in large, long-lived,
mutable data structures.  These kind of data are particularly sensitive to
laziness in my experience.  (I'm using functional data structures and doing
a lot of update operations.)  If you use monads to enforce strictness, how
do you maintain composability throughout the program?