[Haskell-cafe] Proposal for allowing more use of layout to avoid parentheses and commas

Brian Hulley brianh at metamilk.com
Sat Feb 3 12:54:05 EST 2007

Hi,
Following a recent thread on the Haskell' mailing list about the nusiance of
having to deal with commas in tuples (when cutting and pasting things to
re-order the elements there's always a pesky comma left over in the wrong
place), I've written up a proposal for a very simple syntax tweak that would
allow you to use the layout rule for function arguments, tuple/list/record
contents etc for some future version of Haskell at
http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Accessible_layout_proposal

This post is not intended to spark a lot of discussion just to point out the
existence of the page for anyone interested. I've also added a link to all
the new proposals from http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Future .

(If I don't reply to any follow up posts to this thread it's not because I'm
ignoring them. It will just be because I have to try to get down to actually
writing more of my program in the next few weeks, and I find thinking up
ideas and reading posts, books, cooking, shopping, watching dvds etc, is
infinitely more diverting than the painstakingly hard work of actual coding
(though of course it's great in the rare occasions when things fall into
place) ... ;-))

Brian.
--
http://www.metamilk.com