[Haskell-cafe] How did you stumble on Haskell?

Colin Paul Adams colin at colina.demon.co.uk
Sat Feb 3 10:33:16 EST 2007

    Paul> because I was sure that Eiffel was the future.

You were right!

    Paul> It had become painfully
    Paul> obvious that Eiffel wasn't going anywhere.

Hm. Why do I make a living at it then? And why is there now an ECMA
standard for it?

    Paul> learn Java, but after Eiffel downgrading to Java felt like a
    Paul> sell-out:

That's true.

Anyway, my story about how I stumbled across Haskell:

I was visiting Glasgow for the Scottish Go championships, and was
talking to John O'Donnell in the bar about what functional programming
was all about. I mentioned that I knew Scheme, and he said he much
preferred Haskell. So I tried to get him to describe the language to
me, but he seemed more interested in playing Go.

So I just had to learn it when i got home again, to find out about it.
--
Colin Adams
Preston Lancashire