[Haskell-cafe] How did you stumble on Haskell?

Kirsten Chevalier catamorphism at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 22:45:11 EST 2007

On 1/28/07, Alexy Khrabrov <deliverable at gmail.com> wrote:
> How do people stumble on Haskell?

I was thinking that my story wasn't particularly interesting, but then
again, I may be the only person on this list who can actually give a
properly-cited publication as an answer to the question "how did you
learn Haskell?":

Patricia Johann and Franklyn Turbak, Lumberjack Summer Camp: A
Cross-Institutional Undergraduate Research Experience in Computer
Science, Computer Science Education 11(4), Dec. 2001. -
http://cs.wellesley.edu/~fturbak/pubs/cse01.pdf

The shorter answer is, "I got paid to learn it," when I was an
undergrad, and so I find those of you with real jobs and real lives
who learn new languages in their copious free time with no particular
extrinsic motivation for it to be particularly admirable.

Cheers,
Kirsten

--
Kirsten Chevalier* chevalier at alum.wellesley.edu *Often in error, never in doubt
"Relax. I'm weird, not violent."--Brad Boesen, _Disturbed_