[Haskell-cafe] A distributed and replicating native Haskell database

Rich Neswold rich.neswold at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 11:19:38 EST 2007

On 2/2/07, Joel Reymont <joelr1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Would it make sense to build a similar type of a database for
> Haskell?
> What do you think?

I used mnesia in a little Erlang project I did. It did nearly
everything I wanted it to (and stuff I didn't need since it does
replication and my project didn't require it.) The one item I didn't
care too much about is that your data integrity is enforced by your
application. There didn't appear to be constructs that let mnesia
protect data corruption. Admittedly, I am inexperienced with mnesia.
There may be a way to add constraints and I just missed finding it in
the documentation.

I prefer using HSQL with PostgreSQL. PostgreSQL meets ACID
requirements. It supports foreign key constraints, index constraints,
and column constraints. It has stored procedures and triggers. And on
and on.

When HSQL says a transaction has been committed, I *know* the data is safe.

--
Rich

AIM : rnezzy
ICQ : 174908475