[Haskell-cafe] Re: Web server continued

Achim Schneider barsoap at web.de
Mon Dec 31 14:33:12 EST 2007

Jonathan Cast <jonathanccast at fastmail.fm> wrote:

> On 31 Dec 2007, at 10:43 AM, Achim Schneider wrote:
>
> > Achim Schneider <barsoap at web.de> wrote:
> >
> >> That's not specified though, the runtime could choose to let +
> >> force the two chunks the different way round.
> >>
> > And that is probably also the reason why [1..] == [1..] is _|_.
> >
> > Is "Something that can be, in any evaluation strategy, be bottom, is
> > bottom" quite right, i.e. the formalism defined such, that no
> > possibly unevaluable thing is defined?
>
> No.  Again, the semantics of Haskell are defined denotationally, not
> operationally.  In fact, Haskell implementations are required to use
> an evaluation strategy that finds a value whenever one
> (denotationally) exists, so it's the exact opposite of what you said.
>
> Strict languages come much closer to your rule, OTOH.

I guess I just have to change unevaluable to not denotationally
reducable. Except to _|_, of course. Which makes it completely logical,
but also completely meaningless if you don't look at the algebra.

It seems like I have to translate the formulae to plain English after
all.

Not today, though, I'm planning to be drunk in one hour and a half.

signature prohibited.