[Haskell-cafe] Re: Quanta. Was: Wikipedia on first-class object

Achim Schneider barsoap at web.de
Sun Dec 30 11:10:18 EST 2007

"Peter Verswyvelen" <bf3 at telenet.be> wrote:

> Regarding this "the universe is a turing machine": until a couple of
> years ago, I also was someone that believed that (A) the universe
> (and life) could be simulated by a computer,

Yesss. Nice. A bit of Escher here:
Imagine an instance of eval evaluating an instance of eval that
evaluates the first instance.

And then think about what happens if you try to evaluate anything else
than those evals in any of those evals, not forgetting that you're
working inside an eval and getting evaluated yourself.

The grandfather paradox is peanuts compared to that.

signature prohibited.